The Sitka Community Hospital Radiology Department is hosting a Breast Cancer Awareness Walk at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7, along the Sitka Sea Walk.
Walkers should gather between 9:30-9:55 a.m. under the Crescent Harbor covered shelter. Pink and black hats will be available for all who sign in, and water will be provided.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and this event helps remind women to get regular mammograms to ensure their health. The hospital’s foundation also has a Breast Scholarship Fun, which provides mammograms for uninsured and underinsured women.
For more information, contact Denise DenHerder at 747-1725.
The Greater Sitka Arts Council and Sitka Folk will host its annual Fall Art Walk from 5-8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 25, at several businesses in downtown Sitka.
The free art walk will give people a chance to see new art work, visit with your neighbors, and maybe get an early gift idea for the holidays.
Here are highlights from some of the participating businesses:
- THE LARKSPUR CAFÉ, 2 LINCOLN ST. — Artists TBA
- WILLIAM STORTZ GALLERY AT CITY HALL, 100 LINCOLN ST. — Tlingít language revitalization photo exhibit by Pundit Productions
- FOR ME & MY HOUSE / KNITTING WITH CLASS, 102 LINCOLN ST. — Ellen has all things unique for your home. Laura provides beautiful natural fibers and knitted garments.
- ISLAND ARTISTS GALLERY, 205 B. LINCOLN ST. — Artists TBA
- OLD HARBOR BOOKS, 201 LINCOLN ST. — Original oil paintings depicting scenes of Sitka by James Poulson
- ABBY’S REFLECTION APPAREL & QUILTWORKS, 231 LINCOLN ST. — DJ and Morgan Robidou of Sea Dreams Designs
- FISHERMEN’S EYE GALLERY, 239 LINCOLN ST. — Charcoal drawings by Heather Bauscher, wood-turned bowls by Zach LaPerriere, music by Debby LeVeck & friends
- ARTIST COVE GALLERY, 241 LINCOLN ST. — Copper jewelry by Tlingít artist Jennifer Olney-Miller, art and music by Mark Sixbey, sculpted wire jewelry by Linda Wilson
- SITKA ROSE GALLERY, 419 LINCOLN ST. — Artists TBA
- THE LOFT, 408 OJA WAY, SUITE A — An exhibition of new works on paper by Sarah Lawrie
After the Fall Art Walk, join us forAn Evening With The Artists, from 8-10 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 25, at The Loft (408 Oja Way, Suite A, upstairs). This event features an exhibition of new works on paper by Sarah Lawrie and original songs from Denise DenHerder and Ted Howard. The admission fee for this event is $10 and tickets are available at Old Harbor Books or at the door. Only 45 tickets will be sold
For more information, contact email@example.com.