The free art walk will give people a chance to see new art work, visit with your neighbors, and maybe get an early gift idea for the holidays. Friday, Nov. 23, is a sales tax holiday in Sitka, so you won’t have to pay tax on any art you buy.
The Greater Sitka Arts Council will distribute its regular passports at the event (there is a $2 requested donation to participate). Once people fill their passports from stamps at all of the participating galleries, they can return to the Goldsmith Gallery or Beak restaurant to be entered into a drawing to win $100 cash from the GSAC or $25 gift certificates from Beak or Bev’s Flowers & Gifts. The drawing takes place on Nov. 30.
Here are highlights from some of the participating businesses:
- GOLDSMITH GALLERY, 407 LINCOLN ST., No. 100 — Alaska jewelry, drop-off point for completed passports.
- SITKA ROSE GALLERY, 419 LINCOLN ST. — Eric Bealer commemorative wood engravings.
- ALASKA PURE SEA SALT, 407 LINCOLN ST. — Norm Campbell calligraphy.
- ALASKAN DREAM CRUISES, 322 LINCOLN ST. — Steve Lawrie portraits.
- ABBY’S REFLECTION APPAREL & QUILTWORKS, 231 LINCOLN ST. — Jay Sweeney fine sewing tools.
- ROBERTSON’S CUSTOM FRAMING & GALLERY, 128 LINCOLN ST. — Events TBA.
- ISLAND ARTISTS CO-OP GALLERY, 205 LINCOLN ST. — Four artists: Jan Steinbright mixed-media, Marcus Lee metal sculptures, Cayla Pook of Woven By Waves woven jewelry and wall-hangings, and Amelia Mosher of Sexi Seaweed jewels and accessories inspired by the wild.
- CABIN FEVER GALLERY AND GIFTS, 321 LINCOLN ST. — Artwork by Kay McCarty, Kelly Goeden, Sandy Greba, and Grace Harang.
- RUSSELL’S, 208 LINCOLN ST. — Stephanie Staley of Southeast Imagery photography.
- SITKA PIONEER HOME, 120 LINCOLN ST. — Refreshments and entertainment until 7 p.m
- SOUTHEAST ALASKA CAREER CENTER, 205 BARANOF ST. — Student artwork.
- ARTIST COVE GALLERY, 241 LINCOLN ST. — Josh Ragnes and Matt Fiske ceramic works.
- FISHEYE ORGANIC CAFÉ, 327 SEWARD ST., No. 2 — Tracy Sylvester artwork.
- OLD HARBOR BOOKS, 201 LINCOLN ST. — Art by James Poulson, Ashia Lane, Bobbi Jordan, Liz Zacher, Alex Frailey and Nathan Olson.
- BEAK RESTAURANT, 2 LINCOLN ST., No. 1A — Drop-off location for completed passports.
- BEV’S FLOWERS & GIFTS, 221 HARBOR DR. — Martin Johnson glasswork.
More galleries and artists may be added later. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.